Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Book Review: The Unlikely Disciple


We have been meaning to review more of the books that we've read. I finished "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns when we arrived, which is a must-read. Then, I read "Urban Halo" by Craig Greenfield about living amongst the poor in urban Cambodia.
But the book I want to review is called "The Unlikely Disciple" by Kevin Roose. It's about a student at Brown University who decides to spend a semester at Liberty University, the polar opposite of his school. He goes in undercover and tries to blend in as a regular Liberty students. It's a fascinating look at the very conservative end of the Christian world. Kevin does an amazing job of going in very open minded about his experience. The way his preconceived notions are changed about people, especially, is very refreshing.
I got sad as the book comes to a close, because I just didn't want to be done. It's not only an interesting 'experiment', but he also tells the whole experience in a very compelling way. I'd HIGHLY recommend this book.
I give it a grade of 'A'.
Casey

2 comments:

Lisa and Matt said...

Just finished this book myself and I also thought it was a great read. I definitely recommend it too!

Also, HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY KIEREN! Miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for recommending this book. Someone else had recommended it also and so I put it on my list for the library. I got it and read it in less than a week! (I don't recall the last time I did such a thing!)
Thank you again!