Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Book Review: Drive

I just finished another great book: "Drive" by Daniel Pink.  It was also my first book to read on the Kindle that my in-laws got me for Christmas.  I really enjoyed my Kindle experience.  So easy to carry around, to highlight parts you like, and it looks sleek and cool.
The book was excellent and really pushed me to think different about motivation.  I really learned a lot.  It helps me to think through how to motivate Ubuntu employees, our volunteer coaches, and the players in the Academy.  It even challenges how we raise kids.
This is the description that the book gives of itself:
When it comes to motivation, there's a gap between what science knows and what business does.  Our current business operating system-- which is built around external carrot-and-stick motivators-- doesn't work and often does harm.  We need an upgrade.  And the science shows the way.  This new approach has 3 essential elements: (1) Autonomy- the desire to direct our own lives; (2) Mastery- the urge to get better and better at something that matters; and (3) Purpose- the yearning to do what we do in the service of something larger than ourselves.
So many things in the book make sense, but then you realize that we do things so differently.  I read this book now because I knew it would really inform how we move forward as an organization and it definitely did that. I would encourage you to read this if you have people you manage, children you raise, or your own work to do.  So, this is for basically everyone!
Overall Grade: A

No comments: