Wednesday, June 23, 2010

His Terms

I am reading a great book by a fantastic and inspiring pastor and author, Francis Chan. It's talking about the work of the Holy Spirit and this quote really challenged me today. I want the power and presence of the Holy Spirit in my life, but I want to add it in where I want it. God is calling me to places of obedience every day in big and little ways and I must follow Him EVERY day in order to see the power of the Holy Spirit. It's on His terms not mine. What I forget is that what I REALLY want is for it ALL to be on His terms. That is where I will find abundant life.

"Nowhere in Scripture do I see a 'balanced life with a little bit of God added in' as an ideal for us to emulate. Yet when I look at our churches, this is exactly what I see: a lot of people who have added Jesus to their lives. People who have, in a sense, asked Him to join them on their journey, to follow them wherever they feel they should go, rather than following Him as we are commanded. They God of the universe is not something we can just add to our lives and keep on as we did before. The Spirit who raised Christ from the dead is not someone we can just call on when we want a little extra power in our lives. Jesus Christ did not die in order to follow us. He died and rose again so that we could forget everything else and follow Him to the cross, to true life."
-Francis Chan, The Forgotten God




Love,
Sarah

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I just downloaded this! Starting it during my run tomorrow night - or at least that's the plan :-)

Brandi