Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Women Moving Forward

Tonight was a special night. I have had this dream and vision for months to start support groups for women where they can truly open up, be real, share their stories and lives, and find love and courage among other women. In many ways, the secret purpose of the Women's Rally this past weekend was to kick-off these groups I had been longing to start, and then these rallies have become something on their own (that we plan to do more of). But these groups have been close to my heart, and we announced this meeting for tonight (Tuesday) at the rally and to anyone else that would listen. I found myself anxious all day about this gathering tonight, as suddenly something that was very important to me was about to happen and I had no way of controlling the outcome! Those are usually the BEST occurrences, but nonetheless, they frighten me anyways. Through talking with some people and prayer I calmed myself today and felt a leading on something to share with the women who came. In the end, it was only about 15 or so women that came to the Methodist church to gather and talk about starting a women's group, but the night was PERFECT and beautiful and encouraging. We shared some fun stories, laughed together, and got to know one another first. Then I shared about my vision for the groups and the ways I believe it can empower and build women. Ultimately I believe that it's in groups, with other people, that we are finally given the opportunity to truly be ourselves, all the good and the bad, and then encouraged to be our truest and most real selves. Also, we see that all we hope we can be, all we wish we could be, is somewhere down in us, and true friends help us to believe in ourselves enough to become those things. That is the power of groups and friendships. These women really get this dream, and I think they are going to have the courage to try to make this happen. We ended the night by gathering in two small groups where I asked each person to share a prayer request and then we prayed for one another. Women shared deeply, cried, and prayer fervently for one another. Ahh, so beautiful! I have no idea what I really wanted for this night, I mean obviously hundreds of women beating down the door to be in a group wouldn't have been bad, but those who came arrived with open hearts to listen and share and 'be.' It was perfect and gives me SO MUCH hope for what God is doing in Ocean View and what these women are on the way to becoming.

Lots of love,
Sarah

No comments: