Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Interns

We are growing quite a clan of fun people hanging out in the View with us!  Two new interns are now here to work with us, and I want them to introduce themselves!

     Hi. I'm Jordan Parker and I'm from Corinth, MS. I am 17 and just graduated high school. In the fall I plan to attend Southern Mississippi University and play football as a kicker/punter. While at Southern I will study polymer science. My dad Gregg, is the youth minister at First Pres. Corinth and also the boys soccer coach for Corinth High School. My mom, Debbie, is a school teacher at the elementery school. My sister Kara is studying dental hygeine and little brother Joel who is ten is just enjoying being the baby of the family. Sports of any kind, that I enjoy, and also good company and just relaxing.
     I first heard about Ubuntu and what Casey and Sarah were doing here in Ocean View two years ago at Fun in the Son. I immediately felt compelled and felt the calling to help with their organization. Two of my greatest loves put together: Soccer and missions. I knew that one day I would arrive in Ocean View and do whatever it is that I have been called to do here. Although it didn't happen immediately and as soon as I would have liked I didn't lose hope, with a little help, and now I am finally here!
     During my time in Ocean View I want to practice and learn more about the art of serving. 1 Peter 4:10, "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." For me that gift is soccer so I believe that through soccer I can ultimately help serve others. Also, while I am here I don't just want to serve but I also want to learn. There are those who need help, but then there are others who have a lot to teach me.  


Hi!  I’m Christine Gamble and I grew up in Raleigh, NC and went to Grace Community Church.  I now go to Wheaton College, which is a great school near Chicago.  I’m an Interdisciplinary Studies major, with a combination of economics, anthropology, and geology with a focus on water.  I have a heart for rural parts of Africa and want to help with economic development and help ensure that people have access to water, adequate food, and basic health care.  I originally came to Africa this summer with a program at my school called Student Ministry Partners.  I was supposed to work in Zambia with the Jubilee Centre, an organization focused on community development and empowering local churches, with two other students from Wheaton for two months.  Due to some unfortunate and unavoidable interactions between my malaria pills and migraine medicine, my trip in Zambia was cut short.  Although it has been easy for me to become frustrated by the circumstances and confused as to why God would bring me all the way here just to have me leave so soon, I know that God is faithful and has a plan, even when I don’t completely understand it.

Instead of going directly home after leaving Zambia I decided to join my sister Alison, who is already working with Casey and Sarah this summer.  This summer is already a lot different than what I expected or prepared for, but I am excited for this opportunity to be in Cape Town. While my location has changed, my goals for the summer are more or less the same.  I hope to learn about different communities and see how they function.  Most importantly, I want to love and humbly serve those around me while also growing in my awareness of God's love for the people of this world.

No comments: