Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Book Review by Sarah



"When the Darkness Will Not Lift" by John Piper

This was a book I randomly found at the local Christian bookstore here, and I went in search of something just like it and found the PERFECT book for me. As I have been here serving as a missionary, and particularly living in the community where I serve, I have had seasons of feeling down and a great weight upon me because of the things that I see around me. I have such a burden for the situations that I see and my heart feels like it is constantly breaking. I know that I am not these people's savior and that I just need to point them to my God, but I still wish I could do more and I hate seeing so much darkness around me. Even the title of this book called to me and John Piper is an author, speaker, and pastor that I greatly respect. This is a small book but very powerful and to the point. It gave me great clarity and understanding about my own darkness and those whom I love that also faces times of depression, sadness, or their own darkness. I felt like John Piper was my pastor who gently came and taught and encouraged me in something I really needed to learn about. I highly, HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who is experiencing darkness of their own, or loves someone who does. It will lead you to a light, THE Light, and give you a fresh hope.

Grade A+

No comments: