Sunday, March 14, 2010

My ride in the Cape Argus Pick N Pay Cycle Tour!

My Ocean View friends who cheered my on during the race!

I did it again! My 2nd Argus Cycle Tour was quite the experience. I had nobody to ride with so I headed off alone. The streets leaving Ocean View were all closed so I had to ride my bike to the train station in Fish Hoek to get to town. I was just ahead of the leading group and people were cheering for me not realizing I hadn't even started. One poor lady even asked me, "Are you Lance Armstrong?" Really!! I replied, "Though I am American, I'm not Lance." I started in the VERY LAST group at 10am (the pros start at 6am). Though I was by myself I would periodically slide in behind people going the same speed and let them pull me along. My goal was to ride it in 5 hours. My first time took 6, but the course was easier back then. I wasn't feeling good about my pace when I arrived in Ocean View having just gotten my first cramp. But people were so excited to see me, so that got me pumped again. And sweet Sarah gave me an apple and granola bar and I was off again. Not long after I stopped to see another group of friends right at the base of Chapman's Peak (the 1st of 2 major climbs to finish the race). That's when Wayne gave me some magic pancakes. I ate like 3 pancakes in just a few minutes, but they made me feel awesome! I felt great the last 35kms and killed the 2 climbs and the finish. My cramp returned about 5kms from the finish, but I just fought it off. My finishing time ended up being 5 hours 8 minutes, so just off my pace, but better than I expected midway through the race. With the old course I think I would have broken 5 hours. All in all, it was a great day and another great experience. Thanks to all my loyal supporters and to Lance Armstrong.
Oh, 2nd best part. We decided to go to church at Hillsong after the race since I was already down there. So, Jenks and Sarah met me there with stuff to shower and change, but it was like 5 minutes before church. I had to walk all the way through the auditorium to the front with my little bike outfit on, to find the guy to take me to the shower. Then, I wore my medal around afterwards!! I know, I'm a goofball.

Cheers,
Casey

1 comment:

Suzanne K. said...

GREAT JOB Casey!!! My "Lance" would have loved to have done the ride with you - find one to do together in December :)