Thursday, March 18, 2010

Could it happen?

Not long after we arrived in Cape Town I told our good friend Michael Jenkins about an idea/dream I had. One thing I've learned since then is that if you aren't serious about something, don't say it out loud in front of Jenks. So, I had been thinking that if I resurrected my soccer career and started playing on one of the pro teams here that it would bring some credibility to Ubuntu Sports Outreach (also thought maybe I could coach goalkeepers for a pro squad). I know it sounds far fetched, but goalkeepers play longer, it's a weak position in Africa, and I'm still in good shape. Well, Jenks jumped all over the idea and he developed the whole plan to make it happen! I started training on my own with Andy to get back into playing goalie, and then in January we started training with a local club in Fish Hoek.
Recently Jenks has amended his plan. One of the local clubs, Vasco da Gama, just secured promotion into the PSL, the highest pro soccer league in South Africa. We already had 2 clubs from Cape Town in the PSL, but Vasco be the 3rd. He started thinking they would be the easiest to jump into. Last Friday he started making some calls. Found the owner's phone number in the phone book and called his house. His wife gave him his cell phone number. The owner was interested and gave Mike the number for the manager. After the owner let the manager know that Mike would be calling, Mike called and talked with him. The manager suggested that I come play some games with their reserve squad and then train with the goalkeeper coach some. So, last Saturday I played part of a friendly game with their reserve team and did well. Tonight I went for training and it turned out that they were playing another friendly. I played another half a game and did fine. Early next week I'll start going to train with the goalkeeper coach. He will sort of be able to tell if I can 'cut' it anymore or if I'm seriously dreaming.
Right now I feel decent about how I'm playing. I just need to get on the field more. Get used to making decisions again and playing in the flow of the game. I'm definitely fit right now, so that's not the problem. We'll see what happens. At this point, I've been amazed at how quickly God has opened the doors. I ask you to join me in prayer that I would play well, stay healthy, and have the wisdom to know what to do. Who knows, I may just be on a PSL roster next August!?!

Cheers,
Casey

5 comments:

Allison said...

That's AWESOME! Keep up the great work, Casey! :-)

The Ward Family said...

WOW! Go Casey! Keep us updated.

Amy said...

That's cool, Casey! Way to go! Praying for you all. Miss you guys!!!

Lisa and Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa and Matt said...

That's great Casey! I hope this means we'll be getting another playing card for the collection.