Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Update

Hello all!

Here with my regular Monday update. It's Monday afternoon now. Jacoba has taken Kieren to walk around on a very warm and VERY windy Cape Town day, and Casey is out for a meeting and lunch today. I am sitting in a quiet house, listening to music, and reflecting on the weekend. I was already blessed this morning by working with the group of support leaders working for Living Hope in Ocean View by giving them a time of training, encouragement, and ministry. It was beautiful - these are INCREDIBLE women of God that do so much for this community so I love encouraging them! This was a scripture that really spoke to the group this morning:

"The one thing I ask of the Lord—
the thing I seek most—
is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
delighting in the Lord’s perfections
and meditating in his Temple.
For he will conceal me there when troubles come;
he will hide me in his sanctuary.
He will place me out of reach on a high rock.
Then I will hold my head high
above my enemies who surround me.
At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy,
singing and praising the Lord with music."
- Psalm 27:4-6 New Living Translation


Well it was a good weekend, and I was very thankful for the prayers I received, as many of you knew I had two funerals. I was one of many who attended the funeral of Lenny Levendall on Friday, and that was a beautiful celebration. Then on Saturday was the funeral of Evarnie Garnett. I met her sister Karin and her husband and son for the first time when they came to our home Saturday afternoon before the service and they were refreshing and wonderful people. All believers of God, they had a mix of feelings being in Ocean View once again (they are a white family from Pretoria, another big city in South Africa), and feeling guilt and sadness over Evarnie's death. The service was exactly what God wanted as kids from the Open Door ministry in Ocean View sang and presented the family with a card, Sharine who works at Open Door and ministered to Evarnie shared, Karin spoke about Evarnie and 'called' on the community to leave alcohol and violence, and I shared a short meditation about the unrelenting love of God. The scripture that I really feel like God laid on my heart that day seemed to speak to all of us deeply:

"Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.” No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."

- Romans 8:35-38, The New Living Translation


God really used the service to speak to everyone there I believe. The family stayed for tea and food afterwards and then headed to town to meet up with Karin's other children. It seemed like such a random thing for me to be involved in, but I truly knew that God wanted me to lead that service and honor this woman. It did touch me to be involved, and it also put a fire in me even deeper to help stop the silence in Ocean View that is deafening about violence.

Sunday we went to church at Ocean View Methodist, and Casey had the opportunity to share about Ubuntu. Kyle (the head pastor) even preached on the idea and really encouraged the congregation in this place where God is 'stretching' them. It was very well-received, and I believe people now understand us even more. I even had two men come to me and apologize for their negativity towards us living in the house and the grass dying, and saying they now understand why we are here and want to be a part of it. Incredible! Casey then went to another church to talk about Ubuntu - 'Revival Church' - and the head pastor there wants to be a coach and help lead this ministry! Then we rested for the afternoon before going to a worship service and ordination where our friend Shagmie led worship. Afterwards we went to church at Hillsong and had dinner at our local 'Mexican' restaurant, Fat Cactus with our friend Michael Jenkins. Great weekend with God doing lots of great stuff!

We have a normal busy week ahead and I am just encouraged as I have seen God really work in me and other people this past week. He is really moving and changing people - and I feel like God is teaching me so much! Tiring, humbling, but so good.

Lots of love!
Sarah

No comments: