Thursday, December 24, 2009

1 More Sleep...

So many thoughts on our first Christmas Eve living in South Africa. I have been talking to family and friends tonight on the phone and it makes me imagine even more all that is happening today in the US as people prepare for Christmas. For Casey and I, we hung with Kieren, went to the gym, ran last minute Xmas errands (with the rest of the country at the mall, geesh!), took K to the beach, made soup and grilled cheese for dinner, and watched a movie with our great friend Mike. Such a random and seemingly normal day to an outside eye, but it doesn't feel normal at all to me. It is our first Christmas in our new home, and Kieren's very first Christmas ever. Wow! So special, and I am really, REALLY looking forward to it. We do get to cheat a bit this year and celebrate twice - once tomorrow with our community here in South Africa, an then again on the 28th with my parents all day (they fly in on the night of the 26th).

As I write this blog, it's 11pm on Christmas Eve night, and Ocean View is still buzzing - I can hear people walking around, talking, laughing. In the distance someone is playing a beautiful gospel rendition of 'O Holy Night' which is my very favorite Christmas song ever. So many new things to take in. It's good.

I always thought I was so good at change, but it doesn't matter if you choose the change, it is still hard - even for me :) Still, even though we have said so many good-byes this year, I can't help but catch the hope and expectancy of all we get to welcome into our lives now and in the coming years. There is so much ahead. For all of us.

I am thinking of you all tonight, our friends and family back in the States, and wishing you a Merry and Blessed Christmas. May we all continue to embrace all that is coming and going, knowing that the author of our stories and our reason for celebration today, Jesus Christ, has an abundant life ahead for ALL of us.

Lots of love,
Sarah

No comments: